Hummingbird Cake

I made this Hummingbird Cake recipe I found on Mr. Food.

I followed the directions exactly with 1 exception, I took 1/2 cup of toasted sweetened coconut and sprinkled it on top.

I used the Tupperware Chop ‘N Prep to chop up the cherries in about 10 seconds, same for the pecans (I love time-saving tools!)

There would be a couple of things I would do differently when making this recipe again.  I would not include the cinnamon or use 1/2 as much.  It sort of tasted like a spice cake.  I would probably add in 1/2 cup crushed pineapple into the cake batter, just a personal preference.

I would also double the frosting recipe so it entire cake could be covered and cover it with toasted coconut (again a personal preference).

Have you made this before and what differences are in your recipe?  I would like this into form next time with my changes.

Comments

1. It looks and sounds amazing… Wish I had something like that here at home right now, it would curb that sweet tooth craving. I can’t seem to find anything here to help with it right now…. :))

2. Jerrah says:

This looks new to me and I haven’t heard about this before.. I guess I need to give this try.. Thanks for the idea..

3. Born27 says:

Nobody could just resist sweets.

4. I’ve never made it but It looks pretty good–I’m not fond of toasted coconut, but everthing else YUM!!!!

5. Karyn18 says:

This looks so delicious. How much more if I could taste it.

6. This looks so good!! Bookmarking!

7. I have never herd of this cake before, so I have no suggestions. I like the idea of pineapple though sounds yummy!

• Some have told me it’s kinda like having a banana split cupcake. So whatever you want on your banana split, you can have on your cupcake. Not so sure about chocolate syrup though.

8. Yummy! Love the addition of the toasted coconut

9. looks yummy!! :) I love hummingbird cake!

10. These looks so yummy! I believe I have to try these. Thank you for stopping by http://www.homesweetbutterfly.com. I appreciate it, have a great Mother’s Day! I enjoyed your lovely blog and I am a new follower.

Vanessa

11. Wow – I’m impressed – that looks delicious!
    Leigh

12. Heidi19 says:

Wow! this looks amazing! makes me want to dive in for a bite. I will definitely try this. Thanks for sharing!

13. Hearing the word Hummingbird, I thought it has the Hummingbird as a design. Silly me. Anyway, it does look delicious especially because of the toasted sweetened coconut. Coconuts are love. :)

14. I made this for dinner tonight, it came together so quick and everyone loved it! Including Mr. Picky 4 year old that won’t eat anything besides hash browns and chicken nuggets. Thanks for a great recipe!!

15. Oh WOW! This looks absolutely scrumptious! I had never even heard of it before! Will be trying it ASAP–probably without the cinnamon. ;)
    Thank you for sharing this on NOBH!
    Love and God Bless,
    Christy

16. Would’t it be great if we could do a virtual taste test before we bake? Then we could really enjoy our first run through.
    I write in my cookbooks now with changes like you noted so I can fine tune the recipe.
    Thanks for sharing!

17. We make a Hummingbird cake every Christmas. I have an old recipe used by my husband’s family. It’s so good.

18. Peggy Bolling says:

I have been looking for something different to make for the holidays. This seems pretty easy to follow. I want to say thank you so much for sharing this with us! Have a great holiday!

19. NEVER HEARD OF THIS CAKE –BUT LOOKS AND SOUNDS GOOD….

20. this looks so good. i am going to make it thanks

21. Angela Stinnett says:

I must admit, I’ve never heard of a Humming Bird Cake but it looks amazing! This looks like it could be a great cake for the Holidays, yummy but different. I so easily tire of the same old recipes & am constantly looking for something unusual. I think this fits the bill. Thanks so much for sharing! I can’t wait to try it.

22. That looks delicious! The coconut is a nice touch.

Share Your Thoughts: